NORLA - Norwegian Literature Abroad, Fiction & Non-fiction - is a government-funded, non-commercial foundation which promotes Norwegian literature to other countries. More than 2000 books by Norwegian authors have been published in more than 50 languages with grants from NORLA since 1978.
Translation subsidies are only available for the translation costs of a work written by a Norwegian author, and the application must come from the foreign publisher. Applications must be made prior to publication.
When can you apply?
Non- fiction: 1 February, 1 June and 1 October
Fiction: 1 April, 1 August and 1 December
All applications are considered within approximately 1 month and applicants are contacted as soon as a decision has been made.
What does NORLA do?
· NORLA facilitates contact between Norwegian authors and publishers and foreign publishers, translators, universities and others interested in Norwegian literature abroad
· NORLA provides translation subsidies to publishers of Norwegian literature abroad, both fiction and non-fiction
· NORLA offers travel grants for Norwegian authors and their translators
· NORLA arranges seminars in Norway and abroad for translators and publishers
· NORLA provides promotional subsidies for sample translations and presentations of authors
· NORLA participates in international book fairs
· NORLA offers professional advice and guidance
For more details with regard to the application procedure or for downloading the specific application form, please visit NORLA’s website